I have created this wonderful recipe showcasing our artisan Ham Hocks
We cure and smoke delicious ham hocks in our little Country Butcher Shop seasonally just for you!
Using traditional curing methods highlighting hickory with a double smoke cook, we produce a beautiful range of bacon products, such as Bacon, Ham Hocks & Bacon Chops.
Using local grass fed pigs that are RSPCA approved, our artisan butchers produce a Ham Hock that is not only wonderful for soups and stocks, you can only make it the delicious hero of your dish as featured in my recipe.
Celebrate Bacon Week with us and help reduce imported pigs from causing havoc with our local farming industry.
Embrace Aussie Made Pork, by getting MWM's bacon on your fork. We only stock 100% Australian farmed meats and poultry.
You wil find our wonderful range of artisan house smoked products in our SMALLGOODS section of the online store or just ask in store.
I have also used a raw non smoked Ham Hock for this recipe, if you would like a Ham Hock that has not been smoked "Just Ask", we are bespoke butchers and can cater to all requirements. If purchasing online, simply put your requirements in the Special Requirements Box at check out and BOOM it will happen!
- 2 Pork Forequarter Ham Hocks
- 4 tblsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tblsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 onions diced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 500mL dark ale or apple cider
- 400mL chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple sauce/purée
- seeded mustard
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Score the pork hock rind into 3 sections across the width of the hock with a sharp Stanley knife or simply ask your MWM Butcher to preform this task for you.
- Blend the oil, garlic, herbs, mustard, salt and pepper together to form a paste,
- Rub each hock generously with the paste.
- Place the prepared vegetables and hocks into an oven proof baking dish.
- Pour the ale or cider, and the stock over pork in the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish into the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 160°C for 4.5 hours. If the liquid needs topping up, use a little water when necessary.
- Serve crsipy roasted German style pork hock with apple sauce and seeded mustard on a platter for a "Family Style" meal with seasonal vegetables & mash potato.
When I refer to "family style" meals, I am simply referring to meals that you can put on platters and share around the table. This is a wonderful way to enhance time spent with family.
Enjoy & STAY SAFE